Monday, September 19, 2011

Documented Experiment #2- Parental Instincts

Background information:  As new parents, I'm sure many of us doubt that we actually have that "parental instinct".  This was not a fun experiment or planned experiment for any of us.

Experiment design:  Observational
Hypothesis:  Parental instincts do exist

We were having dinner at a restaurant and feeding the spawn some apples.  You guessed it, the spawn decided to shove about 3 pieces of apples into her mouth and started to choke.  The waitress was there to take our orders, but seeing the panic I told her to come back.

Parental instincts (and some first aid training) came into play.  Husband quickly does a finger sweep and clears her airway.  Little girl stops making the scary gagging noise and starts crying.  What a wonderful noise!
We quickly whisk her out of her seat and comfort her.  In less then 10 minutes, she was back in her seat asking for more apples!  She may have been ready for apples, but I was far from it.

I know we're the type of people that run into a dangerous situation, but I think when it comes to your kids, you'll know what needs to be done.  If you can't do it yourself, you will be sure to find someone who can.  Like 9-1-1...  I was not a fan of this experiment and I hope to not repeat this again!

No comments:

Post a Comment